||eCFR Subpart CCCC [ecfr.gov]
This subpart applies to:
Changes made to CISWI units to comply primarily with NSPS DDDD do not qualify as reconstruction or modification.
- Commercial/industrial solid waste incineration (CISWI) units that commence construction after June 4, 2010;
- CISWI units that commence modification or reconstruction after August 7, 2013.
Commercial and Industrial Solid Waste Incineration (CISWI) Unit:
- Any distinct operating unit of any commercial or industrial facility that combusts, or has combusted in the preceding 6 months, any solid waste as defined in 40 CFR Part 241.
- Includes, but is not limited to, the solid waste feed system, grate system, flue gas system, waste heat recovery equipment, and bottom ash system.
- Does not include air pollution control equipment or the stack.
Solid Waste Definition:
- Any garbage, or refuse, sludge from a wastewater treatment plant, water supply treatment plant, or air pollution control facility and other discarded material, including solid, liquid, semi-solid, or contained gaseous material resulting from industrial, commercial, mining, and agricultural operations, and from community activities.
- Does not include solid or dissolved materials in domestic sewage, or solid or dissolved materials in irrigation return flows or industrial discharges that are permitted point sources.
Not subject to this subpart*:
- Pathological waste incineration units that burn ≥ 90% by weight of pathological waste, low-level radioactive waste, and/or chemotherapeutic waste;
- Municipal waste combustion units subject to NSPS Cb, Ea, Eb, AAAA, or BBBB;
- Medical waste incineration units subject to NSPS Ce or Ec;
- Small power production facilities;
- Cogeneration facilities;
- Hazardous waste combustion units required to get a permit under section 3005 of the Solid Waste Disposal Act;
- Materials recovery units (e.g. primary & secondary smelters);
- Air curtain incinerators that burn only 100% wood waste, clean lumber, and/or yard waste;
- Sewage treatment plants subject to NSPS O;
- Sewage sludge incinerators subject to NSPS LLLL or MMMM;
- Other solid waste incineration units subject to NSPS EEEE or FFFF.
*Certain rule requirements, including notification, recordkeeping, and reporting requirements may still apply, and may be required for exemption (per 40 CFR 60.2020). Please see rule text for full details.
- Air curtain incinerators that burn only 100% wood waste, clean lumber, and/or yard waste.