There are several components of an x-ray machine that require special disposal considerations. Barring the ability to recycle or exchange/return the equipment to the manufacturer, the following items must be addressed prior to disposal:
The State of Nebraska does not have an agency that specifically addresses regulatory requirements regarding PCBs.
- X-ray tube oil may contain polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and a determination should be made prior to disposal. Disposal of the tubes will be dependent on the results of the determination.
- Housings are generally made of lead. A hazardous waste determination prior to disposal must be performed if recycling is not an option through a scrap metal dealer.
- Transformers are found in some machines. Older machines are more likely to contain PCB dielectric oil. A determination for PCBs should be made prior to disposal.
The Federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) help line number regarding the use of PCBs is (202) 566-0500.
EPA Region VII PCB Coordinator’s telephone number is (913) 551- 7504.
- NDEQ Waste Management Section - (402) 471-4210
- NDEQ Toll Free Number - (877) 253-2603
- NDEQ Hazardous Waste Compliance Assistant - (402) 471-8308
- Email questions to: NDEQ.email@example.com
Produced by: Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality, P.O. Box 98922, Lincoln, NE 68509-8922; phone (402) 471-2186. To view this, and other information related to our agency, visit our web site at http://deq.ne.gov.