Have You Considered the Alternatives to Landfilling and Burning?
This guidance document is advisory in nature but is binding on an agency until amended by such agency. A guidance document does not include internal procedural documents that only affect the internal operations of the agency and does not impose additional requirements or penalties on regulated parties or include confidential information or rules and regulations made in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act. If you believe that this guidance document imposes additional requirements or penalties on regulated parties, you may request a review of the document.

Form #: 06-234 Guidance Documents
Revised: 11/22/16

Have you thought of the “exchange” alternative?

Keep Nebraska Beautiful’s Materials Exchange Program helps businesses, industries, and schools in Nebraska find an end user for discards that would otherwise be added to our landfills. Keep Nebraska Beautiful manages a statewide database to match those who are generating surplus materials with those who are seeking such materials. Listings are free of charge and can be confidential by request. These are some of the items being exchanged:

Ag Products
Construction Materials
Containers and Pallets
Durables and Electronics
Glass, Paint, and CoatingsMetals
Oils and Waxes
Plastics and Rubber
Surplus Equipment
Textiles and Leather
Paper and Cardboard

The Recycling Alternative. The Nebraska Recycling Directory lists recycling program locations for each county in Nebraska. The organization’s name, who to contact, address, phone number, and materials taken are listed.

Many locations accept wood, yard waste, compost, glass, newspaper, cardboard, etc. Check it out. To request a
Nebraska Recycling Directory call the Department of Environment and Energy’s Integrated Waste Section at (402) 471-4210.

Financial Assistance. There are grant programs available that provide financial assistance to counties and municipalities for pollution prevention projects or for planning and implementing waste reduction and recycling alternatives.

For more information regarding financial assistance or the grant programs, please contact the department’s Integrated Waste Management Division at (402) 471-4210.

  • NDEE Waste Management Section - (402) 471-4210
  • NDEE Toll Free Number - (877) 253-2603
  • NDEE Hazardous Waste Compliance Assistant - (402) 471-8308
  • Email questions to: NDEE.moreinfo@nebraska.gov
NDEE Publications:
Titles are available on the NDEE Home Page under “Laws/Regs & EQC”, “Rules & Regulations”

Produced by: Nebraska Department of Environment and Energy, P.O. Box 98922, Lincoln, NE 68509-8922; phone (402) 471-2186. To view this, and other information related to our agency, visit our web site at http://dee.ne.gov.