Clean Water State Revolving Loan Fund (for wastewater treatment facilities)

The Nebraska Clean Water State Revolving Loan Fund (CWSRF) program provides low interest loans and small community matching grants to municipalities for construction of wastewater treatment facilities and sanitary sewer collection systems to alleviate public health and environmental problems. The loan principal repayments go into new loans and interest earnings on the Fund is used 1) to pay off the state match bond issues and 2) to make new loans.

Helping Communities Address Funding Needs

The NDEQ and the Nebraska Investment Finance Authority (NIFA) jointly administer certain provision of the CWSRF Assistance Act. NIFA is authorized to issue revenue bonds to provide funds for NDEQ to loan to municipalities within the state.

Nebraska’s CWSRF interest rate system is defined in an annual Intended Use Plan. Current CWSRF loan rates can be obtained from NDEQ. Additional interest rate reductions are available for early payback, and to economically disadvantaged communities. CWSRF loans have been made to over 150 communities statewide.

How Can Your Community Receive a Clean Water SRF Loan?

To receive a CWSRF loan, communities need to comply with some basic requirements:

It is important that communities consider all options available for funding wastewater construction projects and other water quality management activities. CWSRF loans can be combined with other federal and state funding assistance. By combining sources, particularly grants if available, communities can make their projects more affordable. For more information on related wastewater and drinking water funds available through the state, return to Wastewater and Drinking Water Financial Assistance Programs.

How to Get Started

To begin planning a wastewater system, the first step is to contact the NDEQ Financial Assistance SRF Section at (402) 471-4200. Staff can help guide you through the planning process, and identify alternative financing sources. All publicly-owned borrowers are encouraged to submit to NDEQ a joint water/wastewater pre-application for state and/or federal assistance.

The basic steps include:

Related documents:

Who to contact:

NDEQ Financial Assistance Section, (402) 471-4200. E-mail:

Nebraska Department of Economic Development (402) 471-4388. Web site:

USDA Rural Development, Community Programs (402) 437-5556

EPA’s Small Community Outreach Coordinators, EPA Region VII (913) 551-7217

National Small Flows Clearinghouse 1-800-624-8301

Environmental Finance Center – Boise State University. Web site:

Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality
1200 "N" Street, Suite 400
P.O. Box 98922
Lincoln, Nebraska 68509
(402) 471-2186