Drinking Water State Revolving Loan Fund

The Nebraska Drinking Water State Revolving Loan Fund (DWSRF) program provides low interest loans and loan forgiveness to owners of public drinking water systems. The loan principal repayments go into new loans and interest earnings on the Fund is used 1) to pay off the state match bond issues and 2) to make new loans. An agreement between NDEQ and NHHS, effective Oct. 30, 1997, defined the authority of the two agencies in administering the program.

Helping Communities Address Funding Needs

The Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF) program was authorized by the 1996 Amendments to the Federal Safe Drinking Water Act. The Environmental Protection Agency makes the capitalization grants to states to help establish their DWSRF programs. Nebraska’s DWSRF program provides loans to eligible public water supply systems for the construction of water works, and for land acquisition from willing sellers for source water protection. Funds can be used to plan, design and construct drinking water facilities.

The NDEQ, Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services and Nebraska Investment Finance Authority (NIFA) jointly administer certain provisions of the Drinking Water Revolving Fund Act. NIFA is authorized to issue revenue bonds to provide funds for NDEQ to loan to public water supply systems within the state.

Nebraska’s SRF interest rate system is defined in an annual Intended Use Plan. Current loan rates can be obtained from NDEQ. Additional interest rate reductions are available for early payback, and to economically disadvantaged communities.

How Can Your Community Receive a Drinking Water SRF Loan?

To receive a DWSRF loan, communities need to comply with some basic requirements:

How to Get Started

To begin planning a drinking water project, the first step is to contact the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services – Department of Public Health DWSRF program staff at 471-1006. Staff can help guide you through the planning process, and identify alternative financing sources. All publicly-owned borrowers are encouraged to submit a joint pre-application for state and/or federal assistance.

The basic steps include:

Related Documents

Who to contact:

NDHHS-DPH DWSRF staff (402) 471-1006

NDEQ Wastewater Facility Section, SRF Unit (402) 471-4206. E-mail: NDEQ.moreinfo@Nebraska.gov

Nebraska Department of Economic Development (402) 471-4388. Web site: http://www.neded.org/

USDA Rural Development, Community Programs (402) 437-5556

EPA’s Small Community Outreach Coordinators, EPA Region VII (913) 551-7217

National Small Flows Clearinghouse 1-800-624-8301

Environmental Finance Center – Boise State University. Web site: http://efc.boisestate.edu/efc/

Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality
1200 "N" Street, Suite 400
P.O. Box 98922
Lincoln, Nebraska 68509
(402) 471-2186